6 Morning Habits to Kickstart Your Day
At SANS, we are firm believers in mindset—and that starts with creating the right morning habits.
Starting your day off with the right mindset can make all the difference in your mood, productivity, and overall well-being. Ultimately, we believe this is how we can live our best lives.
But, it doesn’t always come easy. That’s why you have to work at it to create routines to form habits.
In this post, we look at 6 things you can do every day to nourish your mind, body, and spirit.
Change Doesn’t Happen Overnight
We’ve all heard the phrase. ‘change doesn’t happen overnight’. Rather, change occurs by doing small, consistent actions that accumulate over time, creating meaningful and lasting transformations. Again, this may require a mindset shift to be realistic, be patient, and stay positive.
So, before we dive into the 6 empowering morning habits, we first wanted to say a few things about habit forming as it is important to acknowledge the necessary process for sustainable change.
Forming a habit involves creating a behavior that becomes automatic and consistent over time. That starts by choosing the right habit that is specific and achievable. Whether it’s exercising regularly, reading daily, or practicing mindfulness, pick something that aligns with your goals and is realistic to maintain.
- Set Clear and Realistic Goals – Define clear and achievable goals related to your habit. Make them specific, measurable, and time-bound. For instance, if your goal is to exercise more, set a goal to work out for 30 minutes, three times a week.
- Start Small – Break down your habit into smaller, manageable steps. Starting with a tiny, achievable action makes it easier to incorporate into your routine. For instance, if you aim to read more, start with just ten pages a day.
- Create a Routine – Associate your new habit with an existing routine or habit. For example, if you want to meditate daily, do it right after waking up or just before bedtime. Linking it to an established routine helps trigger the new behavior more consistently.
- Stay Consistent – Consistency is key to forming a habit. Commit to practicing your new habit every day or at scheduled times to reinforce the behavior. Even on days when it’s challenging, stick to it to solidify the habit.
- Use Reminders and Triggers – Set reminders or cues to prompt yourself to perform the habit. This could be alarms, sticky notes, or associating the habit with a particular event or time of day to trigger the behavior.
- Track Your Progress – Keep track of your habit-forming journey. Use a habit tracker, journal, or app to monitor your progress. Seeing your improvements and consistency can motivate you to continue.
- Stay Flexible and Patient – Understand that forming a habit takes time and effort. Be patient with yourself and avoid being too hard if you miss a day. Instead, focus on getting back on track the next day and stay adaptable to adjust your approach if needed.
- Celebrate Milestones – Acknowledge and celebrate your achievements and milestones along the way. Rewarding yourself for sticking to your habit can reinforce the behavior and motivate you to keep going.
- Review and Adjust – Periodically review your progress and make adjustments if necessary. Reflect on what’s working well and what needs improvement. Adapt your approach to make the habit more sustainable and enjoyable.
Remember, forming a habit requires dedication and patience. By following these steps and staying committed, you can successfully integrate new behaviors into your daily life and make them a lasting part of your routine.
Try These 6 Empowering Morning Habits!
One of the most powerful ways to begin your day is by practicing morning meditation. If you’re new to meditation, here’s how to do it.
- Find a comfortable and quiet place to sit
- Take a few moments to be still – we recommend at least 20 minutes
- Try to clear your mind and focus only on your breath. This part takes practice so it’s okay if your mind drifts. Just try to refocus your mind back on your breathing.
- Take slow and steady breaths through your nose
Daily meditations or mindfulness exercises helps clear your mind, reduce stress, and create a sense of inner calm. It sets the tone for a peaceful and centered mindset that can carry you through the day’s challenges.
We find it helpful to include SANS into your daily ritual since it has adaptogens (ginseng and L-theanine), which have calming benefits on your mind and body.
👉 Continue reading: Understanding Adaptogens: Ginseng & L-theanine
2. Exercise or Physical Activity
Engaging in physical activity in the morning is a fantastic way to boost your energy levels and enhance your mood. Whether it’s a workout session, yoga practice, a brisk walk, or any form of exercise that gets your body moving, it jumpstarts your metabolism, increases alertness, and promotes overall well-being.
Through modeling and personal training, fitness and eating clean has always been a big part of Kevin’s (founder of SANS) life. Not only does it help you look good and prolong your life, it helps you feel good as well. Those who work out regularly can attest, there is a long list of benefits such as reducing stress, stabilizing your mood, improving sleep, improving self-esteem… it even allows you to think better.
Studies suggest that physical exercise can even reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.
If you’re thinking about getting into shape, here are some high-level tips we would recommend:
- Set clear goals
- Create a workout plan
- Start slow and progress gradually
- Focus on nutrition
- Stay consistent
- Mix up your workouts
- Get adequate rest and recovery
- Track your progress
- Stay hydrated
- Stay positive and be patient
Some people find it helpful to have a personal trainer to handle a lot of these steps and keep them accountable. Also, be sure to consult with a healthcare professional if you have any medical conditions or concerns.
3. Nourishing Breakfast
A nutritious breakfast is vital for providing your body and brain with the fuel they need. Aim for a balanced meal that includes protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates. A well-rounded breakfast not only sustains your energy levels but also supports your overall health and cognitive function.
Some of our go-to favorites are:
- Fruit and nuts
- Greek yogurt parfait
- Avocado toast
- Vegetable omelette
- Smoothie bowl
p.s. SANS goes great with all these breakfasts 😉
Kanye said, “Your attitude determines your latitude”, and for us, that starts with gratitude. Cultivating a habit of gratitude can significantly impact your outlook on life. Take a moment in the morning to reflect on things you’re grateful for—whether it’s through journaling, silently acknowledging blessings, or practicing mindfulness. This practice fosters a positive mindset, enhances happiness, and encourages a focus on the good in your life.
If you’re a fan of Keven Sturdivant, you may have heard him talk about the 7 Equities:
If you’re a fan of RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan, you may have heard him talk about the 12 jewels:
Whatever it is for you, there is always someone who has it worse, so be thankful for what you have.
5. Intentions or Goals
Setting intentions or goals for the day provides a sense of direction and purpose. Take a few minutes to jot down specific tasks or objectives you aim to accomplish. This practice helps prioritize your day, increases focus, and motivates you to work towards your aspirations.
👉 A dream written down with a date becomes a goal.
👉 A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan.
👉 A plan backed by action becomes reality.
With goal setting, we like to use S.M.A.R.T. goals, which stand for:
6. Affirmations & Attraction
Incorporate positive affirmations or inspirational thoughts into your morning routine. Affirmations help shape your beliefs, foster optimism, and boost self-confidence, setting the tone for a productive and fulfilling day. Some believe that everything operates on a frequency. If we want to attract things in our life (money, love, friends…) we have to put out that energy.
There are countless books (some bestsellers) that talk about this, but at a really high-level, they talk about speaking things into existence, or manifesting. One way is to ‘act as if’. In other words, act as if the thing you want has already happened. So, if you want to earn, say $20,000 per month, your affirmation would be, “I am a $20,000 a month income earner.” If you want to be your ideal weight with 6-pack abs, you would say, “I am my ideal weight and have 6-pack abs.”
Empowering Morning Habits to Help Start Your Day on a Positive Note
Incorporating these empowering morning habits into your daily routine can transform the way you approach each day and ultimately your life. While the exact routine might vary for everyone, finding a combination of habits that resonate with you can lead to a more fulfilling and positive start to your day. By nourishing your body, mind, and spirit, you set yourself up for success and a greater sense of well-being throughout the day.
Also, drink SANS 😊